Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Metals Lab

I had a great time in lab today. It was definitely one of my favorite labs as I loved seeing all these unexpected reactions. These observations ranged from a milky bubbling (Ca+H2O created a white bubbly substance, like when you put a straw into a glass of milk and blow into it) to a dark brown, murky substance (one word, nasty). The reactions that included calcium as a reactant tended to be very violent, and the majority of them produced smoke. Another reaction gave off a very pungent metallic odor. We couldn't tell which one as we filled the wellplate up, making it impossible to identify the exact reaction that was giving off that odor.




7 comments:

  1. I too think that this was my favorite lab we have done so far. I loved watching the calcium react with all three aqueous solutions and water. It was cool to see it smoke, bubble, and turn different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lab was one of the easiest, yet one of the coolest labs we did in the class. The calcium was indeed the coolest. I didn't exactly hear Mrs. Frankenberg saying not to see it up close so I was startled by the smoke created by the calcium. I still didn't get hurt because I backed away as I saw the smoke. The calcium was going berserk with everything though. Which proved that it was the most reactive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was also one of my favorite labs because it was very simple and straight forward. I was surprised when one of the reactions turned a very darkish brown black and starting giving off smoke because most of the reactions just bubbled. Anyways, hope you did well on the test!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This lab was a lot of fun to do, I defiantly think that this one was my favorite because of seeing all of the reactions. And I really liked when you wouldn't expect it to react then it would just start bubbling and smoking. And your pictures turned out really good by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this lab a lot too. It was really interesting to see the reactions take place firsthand. It kind of helped me understand the paper side of the reactions better too. It looks like you guys did a pretty good job on the lab and you got really good pictures. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this lab a lot too. It was really interesting to see the reactions take place firsthand. It kind of helped me understand the paper side of the reactions better too. It looks like you guys did a pretty good job on the lab and you got really good pictures. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great recap of the lab. This lab was one of the best labs we have done so far.

    ReplyDelete