Thursday, December 10, 2015

Copper Chloride and Iron Lab

We had another lab today that stretches out over 3 days. Today's part consisted of mixing water and copper chloride (which was a stunning aquamarine color, I do say) and then putting an iron nail in the liquid, letting it sit. It took about 5 minutes, and as nothing major happened today, I am looking forward as to see what the results will look like tomorrow.

Such a pretty color!

The copper chloride when reacted with water, was a tealish color, as shown in the picture below. After being stirred a bit, it turned more blue in color.

Stirring the copper chloride and water


Next came the nail! As you can see, the liquid is much more blue after being stirred for a bit.
Almost instantly after dropping the nail into the liquid, a rust-colored solid started forming around the bit of nail that was in the liquid. It was very fascinating to see the copper form so quickly. I am very curious as to how big it will get tomorrow!

The part immersed in the liquid is surrounded by copper already!



2 comments:

  1. Great job with your post! I really liked your pictured because it showed the progression of the experiment. I would like to add that I liked the color of the copper chloride too! Your post was very informative. I wish I had looked at our nail before I left. I wasn't expecting anything to form yet, so I didn't look to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking pictures of the first steps in the lab- I wasn't here so It's interesting to see the lab in its early stages. It helps me understand more fully what this lab is about.

    ReplyDelete