Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Recap on Beanium Lab

Upon hearing the name "beanium," I was interested in what it was exactly. Today's "beanium" lab consisted of an activity to apply our new skills of calculating atomic mass. The element we were calculating was beanium, and a single atom was a single bean of varying color (red, black, white, and spotted). Each variant of bean counted as an "isotope" which we then calculated each isotope's mass and average mass. At the end, we calculated the overall atomic mass of all beanium atoms.

Cute l'il red solo cup!

The various "isotopes" of beanium


Overall, I think this lab was an excellent lab which helped us practice calculating atomic mass. The whole "bean as an element" idea was very amusing. I did not find the lab to be particularly difficult in any sort. After today's lab, I think I've got a handle on calculating atomic mass. My favorite part of the lab had to be the mini solo cups for measuring mass; I thought they were absolutely adorable.


3 comments:

  1. I agree with your about this lab being helpful for learning how to calculate atomic mass. It gave the people that needed a little extra practice time to do it during school rather then ending up having to extra at home. I also like how you included a picture of each isotope of Beanium that we used during the Beanium Lab. It gives us the idea of how elements come in different shapes and sizes while containing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your Book of Days pic. Also I like the pictures you took of the lab, it helps to have visual representation so people can tell what the lab was actually about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the fact that this lab actually helped us with calculating atomic mass. I think I am an expert on calculating atomic mass now. :) I see you guys had very few number of beans. Me and Anweshan had a total of 207 beans.... We just kept counting and counting.... You guys were lucky that you didn't get on of the bags with a lot of beans...

    ReplyDelete