Saturday, February 20, 2016

First Lectures on Electronic Structure

We've started a new unit, and it has been going pretty well. At first, the unit seemed a bit confusing, but it all began to make sense gradually. The first lesson of the unit was on wavelengths of light. We learned the formula for the speed of light (C= frequency x wavelength) and for energy (E= Planck's constant x frequency). These two formulas were easy to understand as problems associated with the lesson are pretty basic plug-and-chug. Yesterday, we learned about the electron configuration of elements. This lesson was chockful of vocab and steps to memorize. It was definitely a bit confusing and time-consuming at first to figure out each element's different electron structure and diagram and to memorize all the little rules for different types of elements. However, I soon began to understand it, and I even think it's a bit fun (Something I have NEVER said about chemistry, so that's saying a lot!). 

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Inorganic_Chemistry/Electronic_Structure_of_Atoms_and_Molecules/Electronic_Configurations

Some links for review on these lessons:

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch6/electronconfigpractice.html
http://www.sciencegeek.net/Chemistry/taters/Unit2ElectronNotations.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFPfg0Como

On the other hand, our acid-base test scores have arrived, and I am incredibly happy about my score. I did a lot better than I expected, and being that that unit was supposedly the hardest unit of the year, I feel really great. Thank the chemistry gods.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you. I did ridiculously well on the acid-base test, find this unit to be easy after giving a little bit of thought to the vocab, and think that this unit, while not exactly fun, is still enjoyable. Thanks also for the practice sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the change of pace in the unit. It feels a lot different than our other units but I think it's good. Hopefully that mean I'll do well on this section!

    ReplyDelete